Sachin was born and raised in India. Sachin Dev Duggal is an innovator, serial entrepreneur, and an advocate of enterprise that touches lives and benefits the world at large. He is the co-founder of Shoto – a new startup that lets find unseen photos from your friends when you were together using location, your phone book, and an algorithm that understands the nature of the moment and who was there.
Sachin started his public foray very early in life, at the age of 12 he went on stage in front of 1200 people and the world media to demand something be done about the state of the environment. He began his professional career at the age of 15, when he formed SMX Corporation (now sd2labs) along with his best friend. In August 2004, Sachin co-founded Nivio with a view to disrupt the old compute model; and got seed funding from two of his bosses! Fast forward to 4 years later, Nivio was selected as a technology pioneer at the World Economic Forum in January, 2009. Sachin made history in being the youngest attendees at the WEF in Davos. He left Nivio in 2012 to start on a new idea having put together a world-class team to grow the business.
Listen to the episode to learn more entrepreneurial lessons:
- How Sachin got his entrepreneurial start
- How breaking his Mom’s computer set him on his course
- Ways he capitalized on the spread between the cost of components and the retail price of computers
- What he did to make money while he was still in school
- How he utilized his warm market to build his business
- Ways he pivoted with his company and utilized his existing team
- The incredible advice he received from the experienced previous generation
- True wisdom only comes from experience and not intellect
- His plea for a “gap year” and the compromise that he took instead
- How he landed a job at a Deutsche Bank as a teenager
- How he earned $15K/month as a 21 year old
- How he helped develop the first electronic trading system
- What caused him to get funding from his former bosses for his new venture
- What he did to get Angel funding and how he now funds other companies too
- Why he was able to work here without a VISA
- How he came up with the concept of his app and then had to pivot
- How having heart keeps his projects on track and successful
Entrepreneurial Resources Mentioned:
Check out Sachin’s app:
You can contact Sachin Duggal on Twitter.