Aditya Singhal is the co-founder of Transtutors, a leading international online education portal. Imparting education, apart from being a business, is also a passion for Aditya. He is avidly indulged in helping students develop their skills and counsels them for their career aspirations. He is devoted to the social cause of making education available to the underprivileged by contributing a part of his revenue from Transtutors towards their education.
From 2007-2010, he was providing b2b services for companies wanting to hire tutors from India. Most of the companies were American companies, so they subcontracted their tutoring work. Since then his company has evolved and grown. Aditya shares his journey and the lessons learned along the way.
Listen to the episode as Aditya discusses:
- How excellent SEO allowed his company to be found by other businesses
- In 2010, he transitioned into b2c, even though the company was making money and producing a lifestyle business for him
- 2010-2012 he transitioned into tutoring K-12 students and it was difficult because the client wasn’t actually the buyer – the parents of the clients were the buyer.
- In 2012, they focused on tutoring students through college
- Why he phased out his profitable b2b business segment
- How he did content marketing as an example of their work only
- Why having a “small, happy family” worked perfectly as a business model
- Why an education business will grow slower than other types of businesses
- How he hired employees that were really freelancers
- 2012 – He expanded to Homework Help, but now he is phasing it out in favor of a subscription model
- Why content creation has become a major part of his business model
- How he splits his time between the US and India
- Why get got started with StartUp.com
- The experience that was his first taste of a start up
- Why money doesn’t really motivate Aditya
Aditya’s best advice for Entrepreneurs:
Sell before you make. Don’t make products before you know it is going to sell.
Connect with Aditya:
3.Become tutor (http://www.transtutors.com/become_online_tutor.aspx)
5.Email Aditya [dot] Singhal [at] transtutors [dot] com